Friday, October 5, 2007

Confessions of a Buzzaholic

Alternate title: Blame it on Dapoppins

Hi, my name is Avery, and I'm a Buzzaholic.

I wasn't always this way. No. In fact, I recall a time in the not so distant past when I lived a completely normal life, blog-free and blissfully unaware of the drastic changes in store for me. Well, my eyes are wide open now.

It started as it usually does, with a pusher. An enabler. Dapoppins was her name. She made it seem so easy, so fun. "Just post a blurb," she said. "Link your blogs. You'll make a name for yourself. Publishers like that." And she was right. I knew it in my heart.

"Okay," I said with some trepidation. "I'll try it."

Infamous last words. I was hooked from the start. First, I posted a blurb, then a picture. Then another picture, and a link to my blog. And all the while, something strange was happening. People were posting comments.

In complete sentences.

Confusion! Denial! "What kind of networking site is this?" I demanded. "No u'r blog iz 2 q-t? What gives?"

Dapoppins just sat back and rubbed her hands together menacingly. "You're in deep now, little girl," she cackled.

(Yeah, I know. It surprised me, too!)

But she was right. I found myself eagerly anticipating viewing all the profiles, perusing all the blogs, and, of course, reading all the comments left on my [delightfully witty] posts. I couldn't believe the response!

There I was, day and night, checking out who had updated their pages, and what kind of cool widgets I could snag.

So, yes, I am a Buzzaholic, and I could stop at any time. But why? I've met some amazing, inspiring, courageous, humorous, and downright hilarious people. I'm sharing my views, expressing my creativity, commiserating with my overworked peers. And I'm a part of a wonderful community.

I can proudly say I'm averygray, and you can find me at cre8buzz.com

31 comments:

Dapoppins said...

Devious laughter indeed. Don't blame it one me. I don't even know you! Who is this Avery Gray person?

Dapoppins said...

Okay. I admit it. Your funny. Your sarcastic. You kill squirrels. I guess we can be friends. But don't blame your obsessive blogging personality on me. It is all the "Buzz" sites fault. I had nothing to do with it. I am just an innocent bystander. Really.

I have to read my book now.

Marianne Arkins said...

I'm posting mine tomorrow... but now I feel pressured to be far more witty and entertaining than I had planned, thanks to you.

Emery Jo said...

I am also a buzzaholic. Lord help me!

Also- the couch in the photo is at my friend's house, so I'm not sure of what it's called. I really liked it though- beautiful color!!

archshrk said...

I won't be tricked so easily. I don't do every thing a blog tells me (even if I'm here because RaJ told me to come) I'm an individual, just like everyone else.

Avery Gray said...

I always knew The Jam was a robot overlord!! Be very wary, my friend. He might be leading you into a trap with his mind-bending rays!

wessexcathedral@gmail.com said...

I'm insulted. I don't think you've read my blog.

And Dapoppins is crazy. You know, sometimes I just don't get her humor. I can't figure the woman out. But I like her.

Nice to meet you. Like your template, although I am not sure if I can handle Evanescence---glad it was just the vocalist---she is good.

Avery Gray said...

What are you talking about?! Evanescence is awesome! Would I have them in my playlist if they weren't? No, of course not. That's crazy talk. Kinda like talkin' to Dapoppins. But I'll let it slide this time since you complimented my template. Thank you!!

R said...

Hey, I said the vocalist is good.

LOL!

dawn said...

I came from RaJ's blog. I am looking at Cre8buzz recommended by him,and Novembrance,to see what is going on. I have been blogging since June, and the computer is a steep learning curve for me. I am not an aspiring author, but I am having fun with my blog and so far I am trying not to become an 'aholic' of any kind. But I am feeling the tug, the current is dragging me under. I feel I can't breath sometimes, then I reach for the sky and take a deep breath. And then...I try something new. I think it will be a bit before I attempt Cre8buzz, I am not even on facebook, and I am going to try Novembers post every day thing.

Come for a visit; I have an amusing Donkey Tale today.

Sometimes Emma said...

Dapoppins blames her blogging addiction on me, it's only fair you can blame Buzzaholism on her.

cre8buzz, ME LIKEY!!

CableGirl said...

Heheh. Just. Can't. Get. Enough!! lol

Radioactive Jam said...

It's like crack, only with no cocaine. Or needles. Or alleys, junkies, diseases, beatings etc. What's to not like?

Heather B. Moore said...

Yeah, I have Annette to thank for it. So I'll admit: I'm a BuzzAholic.

loveyh said...

Y'all are nuts!! Get it , squirrel woma...NUTS. That's funny.

But syphilis is still not.

Erin said...

Hi, thanks for coming by my site and leaving comments! I'm glad to meet another fellow blogaholic. I'm sorry to say that I haven't been able to keep up at cre8buzz. It's all I can do to keep up with my blog never mind all the time that I would inevitably spend there. Hope you have a great weekend.

Avery Gray said...

No, syphilis is still not fun. But the Buzz is, so hop on the bandwagon!

TOM said...

Avery, thanks for "Poppin in on my page" I see we have Cre8buzz in common, I don't get there enough, I got hooked on blogging and like you say, it's great checking out posts and reading comments...

Dedee said...

Great post! I feel the same. Just substitute Kymburlee for Dapoppins and it fits right in. . .except for the publisher part.

piper of love said...

YEE HAW SISTER, my fellow BUZZtastic!! ;)

loveyh/Shannon said...

I tried, but I have to wait for them to be done with the beta test. They'll email me.

Jackal said...

Go cre8Buzz - go!

friend of Dapoppins said...

Hey! Dapoppins is only crazy when she forgets her medication! It's Avory Gray who is crazy, she drinks the healty diet-coke. How crazy is that?

Avery Gray said...

Hey, it's the same price as regular Diet Coke, and tastes the same! You'd be crazy NOT to drink it!! (Like I don't know it's you.)

Christina said...

you know, you don't have to admit it unless you are trying to quit!!!!

Sheila said...

It's nice to meet you! I too was urged on to start a blog and in no time found myself enveloped in the blog world. Cre8Buzz has connected me to some great new people and even more blogs for me to enjoy.

Joeprah said...

Word. I like the buzz too. I think I like meeting new people, people that are interesting and cool. So far, so good I must say...you included ; )

Azhria said...

I think we all need Buzzaholic badges!.... *boots up photoshop*

Avery Gray said...

Oooo! Badges! Yes!!!!!

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

hello avery, my fellow buzz sister. buzz is how i came across your path :)

hello, my name is kathleen and i am a computer addict. i will strive to do better tomorrow, but am having too much fun with this toy and all the little connections to others.

cute post, kathleen

Anonymous said...

I think, that you commit an error. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.