Monday, October 15, 2007

How My Dad is Saving the World...

...one garbage disposal at a time.

This is my dad, Jerry.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


He's the Frankenstein in the middle. That's me on the left, the fairy princess with tin foil accessories. My brother's the one on the right. I don't think he dressed up that year.

(Also note my mom's flair for wicker-centric wall decor. Nice.)

Whenever I introduce my dad, I always refer to him as "a swarthier MacGyver", for a couple of reasons. One, for a white guy, he's fairly swarthy. And two, he's freakin' McGyver.

For those of you too young to recall who MacGyver was, here's a hint:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


"Wait," you say. "Isn't that the guy from Stargate SG-1?"

To which I reply, "Come on. I'm telling a story here. Focus!"

For those of you who do remember MacGyver, you already know what a resourceful guy he was. Kinda like the Professor on Gilligan's Island, he could use just about anything to get out of all sorts of scrapes. I never knew a gum wrapper had so many practical uses until I watched that show!

So, how is my dad MacGyver, you ask? Well, let me send it over to HIS ROBOT to explain...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Yep, that's me and his robot, Zoom. The one he made out of parts from an old dryer, a security light, an intercom, and some scrap metal.

Like MacGyver, I like to think of my dad as a pioneer of the recycling movement. He was reusing junk when reusing junk wasn't cool. Something he's still doing to this day.

About eight years ago or so, my dad, who lives on a windy hill, must have had some time on his hands because he came up with an ingenious idea--turn old garbage disposals into wind powered generators!

Off he went to his lair--I mean lab--to start the process.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

(Now y'all know why I have a magnet on my fridge that says A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. I learned from the best, I did!)

And he turned this:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


into this:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


THE GARBOGEN!!!


He came up with the name himself. Catchy, isn't it? Yes, my dad is awesome, if I do say so myself!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Now, my brother on the other hand...

15 comments:

loveyh said...

That's just mean! I mean, c'mon, your brother cant even DEFEND himself!!

;)

Rimarama said...

Your dad RAWKS! That is freakin' awesome.

I am sure my husband would love to have a word with him, too. He is convinced that wind power is the way of the future (in more ways than one, tee hee).

Azhria said...

Your dad sounds great - a real character!

WorksForMom said...

Wow, your Dad is awesome. What a fun post to read!

Jo Beaufoix said...

Wow.
He's amazing.
No wonder you're so creative.
Fab.

R said...

That was pretty cool.

Misssy M said...

Your dad is excellent. My dad also never throws anything out and can make any item you request out of stuff he has somewhere in the shed. He has, however (to my knowledge) never made a robot. We must rectify this.

Emma Sometimes said...

Wow. And my dad only bought me a Commodore 64. LAME!

Emma Sometimes said...

Hey we are going to get our entire family's arteries a'clogged tonight. We live very close to the LORD'S BURGER JOINT

Flip Flop Momma said...

I use to watch Mcgever...he cold get out of a locked room with a tamon and a paper clip, he is a genuis.

Ba Doozer said...

hmmmm...your brother the clown. there's always good uses for clowns, esp for BBQ

Lisa said...

Your dad's so cool. I'm linking this post up. :)

Mert said...

You had me cracking up with the "I don't think he dressed up that year" comment! SNORT! That is so something I would say about my brother.

Your dad... that is so cool! I can see why he's your McGyver. I would love to see those windmills in action :D

Britt S. Baker said...

Thank you for your lovely comments re: my blog action day post.

I found most of the videos on youtube by searching "global warming" and humor or funny. A few I found by searching for specific shows.

I plan to have a look around your blog when I get a chance. It looks quite interesting.

cate said...

i LOVED this post! it not only made me smile and laugh, it also warmed my heart...'cause it reminds me a bit of my own dad.

i've called my dad McGyver for years now. i grew up on a farm with not much money. my dad, who's basically an untrained (except for life experience) engineer of any and every kind. he continually amazes me. he would be fixing a tractor..."oh, i don't have that part...well, i'll just whip something up with stuff from this pile of scrap here."...amazing!

funny enough, he is also obsessed with windmills. my parents live on an extremely windy hill. it's the highest point for miles and miles. he's always wanted a windmill. and the fact that he's from Denmark, where windmills are EVERYWHERE, he doesn't understand why more people don't have them.

on a side note, i used to be in love with McGyver when i was younger! i was sure we were going to get married! ;-)