Thursday, October 4, 2007

Take that, Lovey!

My friend Shannon--aka loveyh, aka the repository of all big words--and I had a discussion the other day about the word "banal". Specifically, how to pronounce it. I said it's banal, like canal. She said it's banal, like anal. And she said it with a straight face, so I think she really believed it.

Well, as you can imagine, it ended in fisticuffs. And let me tell you, she fights dirty. Once she brought out the brass knuckles, I decided to let the matter drop. Needless to say, it remained unresolved between us. Until now.

See, I'm a clever little monkey (thanks Azhria for that), and utilizing the tools at my disposal--the wonderous Yahoo search window--I typed in "banal definition". And here is what I found. Turns out we're both right. I'm just righter.

Go on, Shannon. Click the little speaker. Do it! I dare ya!!

*Avery goes off in search of smug little emoticon*

What? Hey, it's not often I get to talk smack. I'm usually wrong about these things. Take for instance, the word "betta". You know, the little Siamese fighting fish? I'd always pronounced it beta, like the now defunct type of video tape. (I have no proof of the postulation that they are, in fact, now defunct. I'm just working off assumption they are because NO ONE HAD A BETA PLAYER when they were... funct.)

And she says she's a writer?

Yes. Shut up.

Anyhow, my friend Jillian pronounces it betta, like Jetta. And it turns out she's right.

Hey, what do you want from me? I'm a writer. W-R-I-T-E-R. As long as I spell it correctly, you'll never be any the wiser that I'm a pathetic moron. But I can take comfort that I'm not alone. In fact, I have some rather illustrious company.

I'm looking at you, Oprah.

All of Oregon is looking at you, Oprah.

Yes, Oregon. The place I was born. A proud, if often mispronounced, land of promise and mildew. And banana slugs. And squirrels. Don't forget squirrels. And hippies. Damn, dirty hippies.

It's pronounced O-ri-gun. Not O-REE-gone. O-ri-gun.

There. I'm sure Oprah feels properly put in her place now.

And now that I'm feeling nostalgic, here's a little blast from the past for my peeps in California's Canada.

12 comments:

Shannon aka loveyh said...

Yes, but in your attempt at proving me wrong, did you happen to notice the majority of the people that pronounce it like you (aka WRONGISH) are limey Brits? Don't get me wrong, I'm not kicking hot Englishmen out of my bed should they appear, it's just that they too have a tendency to murder the so-called English language.

Avery Gray said...

Have at her, ladies and gents.

Jessica said...

why do you have to pronouce it correctly? As long as you know what it means. Even correct spelling is optional.

Radioactive Jam said...

I like the part about correct spelling = optional. When I need an editor, I'll hire jessica. Produtcivity skyrokcets! Yes!

Also if you find one of those smug little emoticons, would you let me know? It almost never happens but I might need one someday.

Bec said...

I'm usually wrong about these things.

Me too! Usually the more right I think I am the more likely I am to be wrong. It's like the universe's way of saying "You're getting too big for your boots missy".

Mispronunciation is one of my pet peeves. There are a few words that Oprah says that shit me off. I just can't think of what they are at the moment.

Christina said...

I pronounce it "Beta" too. and I have one of 'em. tomato, tomahto.

Bitsy Parker said...

Well, Avery, you've a fun blog here. I'm entertained! AND, that's what it's about, right?

Josi said...

One of the beauties of having very limited verbal communication with adults, is you can say any word any way you want. 90% of my adult communications is written, and I've got spell check for that.

You're are a crack up!

Sometimes Emma said...

Smack keeps things fun!

Hey...(not to ruffle feathers of those I don't know) but I happen to like limey Brits and their accents. Even Brits that aren't hot with their massive comb-overs and notorious lack of dental work.

My dad had a beta player albeit, he still has an eight-track and a reel to reel...I'm just saying.

Eczema is another one of those regularly mispronounced words.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Okay, I've always said banal like anal. I'm so glad it's partially right. :)

But that is the beauty of writing. If you can spell it, and if you use it correctly, then you're good.

Erin said...

Okay, seriously, I'm laughing quite hard. You, girl, are my new hero. I love your writing and I wish I was as funny. I'm linking you on my blogroll because I will definitely be back.

Avery Gray said...

Wow! Linky love? You like me! You really like me! Thanks so much!!