Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Somebody stop me!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yes, fall is here. The time of year when the leaves change colors, and everything begins to die.

Good times.

And, as always, the season is heralded by the ceremonial changing of the flag at the Gray house.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I know it's hard to tell, but it's a cornicopia. Very pretty. Very festive.

But there's a side to this season that's not very pretty, and not very festive. A dark side, hidden in shame and shadows. A side so hideous, so terrible, the very mention of its existence strikes fear in the hearts of men...who care about their lawns.

Yes, I'm talking about SLUGS!!!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Dun dun dun!!!

Living in the Pacific Northwest, you'd be hard pressed not to have a yard full of slugs between now and the middle of next spring. Heck you can't even set foot out the door without stepping on one. Case in point:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sorry. The photo is kinda blurry, but believe me when I say it's for the best. All those sluggy entrails. The death, the destruction!

Oh, the humanity!!

Or inhumanity?

Can I not even set foot out the door without killing another living thing?!!

*sigh*

Well, at least Christina loves me. She gave me a "Breakout Blogger Award", my first award ever! So, thank you, Christina! I will proudly display it on the right-hand column above my random books with cheesy covers.

To show my appreciation (and for the benefit of all you looky-loos), here's something funny:

[Be sure to pause the music player at the bottom of the screen before playing]

13 comments:

loveyh said...

That video makes me laugh EVERY TIME.

Erin said...

Funny!

Radioactive Jam said...

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be spelled 'cornycopier.' We used to have one at work. Then one day someone put it in the microwave.

It popped of course.

Paul*HolleeAnn*Jordan said...

FANTASTIC!! oh and thanks for stopping by...i colored the gray, my sister said it was a must even tho my brother thought i should wait until after halloween...yep we love honesty in our family...oh and the family motto is and always has been "tell the joke or BE the joke" lol...it's truly all about the love, but some ppl dont "get" us!

newnorth said...

awwww, cute little slugs :p

Pixelation said...

The word for slug in Spanish is 'baboso.' It also means a person that is drooling. It's a good insult for a dumb person.

In English, slug just means lazy and has nothing to do with drool whatsoever.

Sometimes, late at night, I think about slugs and just shiver. Can you imagine what slugs would do if they knew Spanish?

...Probably just keep being lazy, I suppose...

Avery Gray said...

You guys are funny!

Sheila said...

Autumn is my favorite time of year - however, we really don't see much of it here in Florida. We do however see a lot of those silly slugs. They love attaching themselves to my sliding glass door while leaving their trails behind them!

Rimarama said...

That slug picture totally creeped me out, but the rest of your post made me laugh.

BTW, is it really true that salt on a slug is like a stake through a vampire's heart?

Avery Gray said...

Yes, Rimarama, it is! And (though I am reticent to admit it) salting slugs was something of a hobby of mine when I was younger. My grandmother had a huge garden, very attractive to those huge banana slugs, and she used to give me and my brother a bowl of salt and tell us to go nuts on their slimy asses. Which I'm not sure slugs have, but we did it. And if slugs could scream, I'm sure I'd still be haunted by the sound.

Radioactive Jam said...

Surprised you didn't stuff 'em inside hollow acorns and feed 'em to squirrels.

Corey~living and loving said...

I'm in the pacific northwest too....and I love that first slug picture. really I do! fab!

Joeprah said...

Slugs...eh. The video...freaking great! Thanks!