Thursday, November 8, 2007

I'm Thankful for...Awards

I'm terrible.

*pause for dissention*

No, really. I am. I've been lax about acknowledging all these wonderful awards some kind and caring individuals have bestowed on me out of pity love. It's not that I don't appreciate them. Verily, I display them with hubris pride. But when it comes to passing them on, I draw a blank.

How am I supposed to choose which of the many talented bloggers I've had the pleasure of reading to award such honors when all of them are so deserving? Am I to single out just one or two and shun the rest?

Well, that didn't sit well with me, so I devised a plan.

But before I tell you what it is, let me thank a few people who've brightened my days with awards:

Christina gave me the Breakout Blogger award when I was a young, fledgling upstart (like 2 weeks ago). It was my first award, and so totally unexpected that at first I thought it was a mistake. How funny, I thought. There's another Avery around.

Yep, that's me. Quick as a whip.

It still retains a prominent display on my blog mantle (all of 2 weeks later). Especially coming from someone as eloquent and no-nonsense as the Lady Christina. Quite a compliment, let me tell you!

Flanking it on the right, we have the award given me by my favorite vivacious "Brit" living it up in the French countryside, Mya--the You Make Me Smile award. I make Mya smile? Obviously she hasn't read her own blog, or she'd totally be awarding that one to herself. This post alone had me giggling like a schoolgirl smiling all day!

Finally, we have the two awards bestowed on me by the venerable Jo Beaufoix--the Bodacious Blog award, and the I Made Someone Laugh So Much Their Head Fell Off award. The latter is one she made herself. (Cute, ain't it?) This girl has mad skillz far surpassing my own in every concievable way, and yet I found myself inspired by her ingenuity.

Which leads me to my aforementioned plan.

I made my own award, too!

Jo, I hope you don't think I'm trying to steal your thunder. In fact, you're the first recipient of my award. Because you're not a typical blogger, and this ain't no typical award. It's the I Guess Your Blog's Not THAT Bad award (complete with an original Avery Gray self-portrait.)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Why in the world would I want to give this award to someone I actually like? Allow me to explain.

When I get an award, I get superhappypumped. I copy and paste it, or get the HTML code, and add it to my impressively long list of honor. Then, once I've hit the save button, and it becomes indelibly etched in the posterity of The Blog, reality sets in.

I made someone smile.

My blog is bodacious.

I decapitated someone with my rapier wit!

I didn't mean to do that!! Yet, there's the proof, right there. Staring me accusingly in the face. You did this, and you will do it again!

And then the pressure sets in. What if they come to expect it? I mean, "A" material EVERY DAY? That's not even possible. Sometimes I'm scraping the dregs, people. Some days you're gonna wish for "C-". I promise you.

And what if I decide one day to expose my more serious side, blog about social reform, or the environment, or the reason so many frat boys are flooding toy aisles looking for Aqua Dots. Will there be a huge black hole where my loyal readers used to be?

For this reason, I've decided to spare my favorite bloggers the anguish. The beauty of my award? No pressure!

Come on! Wouldn't you rather live up to "not that bad" than "so freaking hysterical I went into labor and I'm not even pregnant"? I know I would!

So, for the lucky recipients of this prize, you may choose from one of two sizes:

or

Well, you could use the huge one, too, if you really wanted to. I'm not picky. As a matter of fact, feel free to add your own embellishments. Give me devil horns, a moustache, boogers...whatever you want. Just copy the image and paste it into your picture editor. (Or Paint, if nothing else.) Save it and add to your blog. Easy as pie!

So, without further ado, here are the first ever recipients of the "I Guess Your Blog's Not THAT Bad" award. Drumroll, please...

1) Jo
2) Emma
3) Deb
4) Mike
5) Mya
6) Heather

Uh, congratulations, I think!

16 comments:

melody is slurping life said...

Woman, you are too funny...and quite clever.

Mike said...

Avery, in three and a half years of blogging, this may be the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my blog. My momma is gonna be so proud.

Thanks!

Rimarama said...

This post was really not that bad.

And I know what you mean about the fear of losing readers if you show another side of your personality. I feel the same way. But I'd still read you!

Kimberly said...

That is the cutest award ever! I love the no pressure aspect of it.

Heather, Queen of Shake-Shake said...

Thanks! I think?

hehe!

This is funny!

Definitely removes the pressure. So much so that I'm embracing the NeeNarHaHa and will actually take a three day weekend from blogging. Woot!

Jod{i} said...

You are wonderful! That is the bestest award around! No Pressure..No huge expectation and yet it say sit all!
PERFECTION!
and I find it hard to believe you scrape for material! If so you do it nary a notice from this side of the glass!

Woo Hoo! Avery has her own award!

dawn224 said...

That's so funny :)

WorksForMom said...

Oh my, this was BRILLIANT. I so love this post and that award. :)

cate said...

that has got to be the cutest award button i've ever seen! well done! :)

Jo Beaufoix said...

Avery, you nicked my idea. I don't like you anymore.

Ha, you were scared weren't you?
I love this. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
And it's such a cute picture. I am well impressed, and I so need the 'no pressure' bit at the moment cos NanoWriMo is using up so much of my brain it's scary.
Sorry I'm late to pick it up. I'm late for a lot thongs right now. Can we pass it on?

meleah rebeccah said...

I love that award button/picture.

You are so funny and really CREATIVE.

Erin said...

That's an amazing award and I love the picture. I haven't posted any awards on my sidebar because like you said, there's too much pressure. I can't keep up with posting awesomeness every day.

Avery Gray said...

Melody--thank you so much!

Mike--that makes me a little sad. Glad you stuck with it! ;o)

Rimarama--aw! I'd still read you, too! I think there's something so fake about someone who never gets down in the dumps. No one can be happy 24/7! We should cut ourselves some slack.

Kimberly--you see the beauty of it! ;o)

Heather--have a nice, long, blog-free weekend!

Jodi--the bestest? Really?!! Yay!

Dawn, Worksformom, Cate--thank you, my dears!

Jo--pass it on with my blessings! Glad you like it!

Meleah--thanks, sweetie!

Avery Gray said...

Erin--thanks! Yes, I know I can't! As much as I'd like to, there's no way I could!

Joeprah said...

You are uber creative because the graphic design is impeccable in that award. It is like there isn't any one thing you can not do...my breasts are heaving!

Anonymous said...

Just want to say what a great blog you got here!
I've been around for quite a lot of time, but finally decided to show my appreciation of your work!

Thumbs up, and keep it going!

Cheers
Christian, iwspo.net