Saturday, November 24, 2007

I'm Thankful for...Choices

Well, we made it through Black Friday, and I feel like I should take a head count. Did everyone survive the tramplings? The gouged eyes, the slit throats, the shivved kidneys?

Oh good.

I didn't want to have to start building up my reading audience all over again. That takes time, and time is something I don't have much of these days. I mean, here it is, TWO days after Thanksgiving, and I still don't have my Christmas tree up. Martha Stewart would spit in my face.

Then there are Christmas lights to be strung, and Christmas cards to be sent, and Christmas wreaths to be made, and Christmas gifts to buy, and...

I'm exhausted just thinking about it. And that doesn't even include all the other things I normally have to do. Like...oh, I don't know...WRITE!

Did you know I haven't made any appreciable progress on my WIP since I started this blog? Now, I'm not blaming you. It's me. It's my fault. I just can't stay away from all your fabulous blogs. And that's maybe partly your fault for writing such fabulous blogs in the first place.

You know, I'd like to reverse my previous position and place the blame solely on you.

Whew! That feels better. Guilt gone.

But despite whose fault it is (yours), I have made a difficult decision.

I'm scrapping my novel.

That sounds a lot more dramatic a decision than it actually is. This is the second novel I've started. The first is still very much on the board, but it will need some major tweaking before I can continue with it, and my heart's just not in it at the moment. But, no, this second novel is a good idea for a story. I just don't think I've executed it well to this point. I'm constantly going back and reworking it, and it's still not right.

So, I can continue to rework and rework until I'm blue in the wrist, or I can scrap it, and come at it a new way.

New is good, right?

Well, let's hope so.

And now, to get us in the Christmas spirit...

You Are Socks!

Cozy and warm... but easily lost.
You make a good puppet.

10 comments:

Sheila said...

New IS good - best wishes for a new start!

Dang, I got "You Are Socks" too!

holly said...

are we all socks? or are we just really really similar...

yes, new is the new old. do new! i don't know what the heck that means. i think it means i should go to bed. and sleep 'till nanowrimo's over.

Kimberly said...

I take full responsibility. I mean, I'm fabulous, how could you possibly resist me? =P

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

If your novels contain writing as good as this blog then they will be a great read. I loved the reasons to be grateful - distance post. I have a friend in a similar situation - she's gone blind, deaf and dumb about her useless git of a man. I could shake her, instead we aren't talking over it. I'll be here for her when the loser dumps her or she sees sense.

R said...

First of all, it has not been hard for you to get readers. They come out of the wood work here. I have an incredibly awesome blog and not many people read it---too bad they just don't comprehend its sheer awesomeness.

Second, I was looking forward to being on the cover of your novel. No fair.

Third, you are sane and normal. Those other people that put up Christmas stuff right away, or actually have a tree up at Thanksgiving make me want to puke. Not right. I am not looking forward to Christmas. It comes too quickly, it should be every other year. I tire of it. Just boycott it.

R said...

Oh, BTW---I am "ugly underwear." That's appropriate because I love ugly underwear. Theys are comfy.

R said...

Wait. I thought you posted something else underneath the present post, and hey, you didn't! Now I am a stalker!

Avery Gray said...

Sheila--thanks, fellow sockser!

Holly--you crack me up! New IS the new old. You're absolutely right!

Kimberly--I can't! I just can't!

MOB--thanks for the sweet compliment! As for our friends, you're right. We just have to wait until they see reason. Pray that it's soon!

R--first, people are intimidated by your sheer awesomeness. That's the problem. Second, you're still going to be on my novel. Just not that one. I'm not giving up writing altogether, goofball. Third, I'm not as sane as you think. My tree is now up, and the lights are on. Will you still come stalk me even though I now make you physically ill?

Jill said...

I won't start Christmas shopping until hubby gets his bonus. (Dec. 8th or 16th-depending on how much boss wants to torture us!)


I do, however, think it's time to remove my "Trick or Treat" doormat from the front porch!

meleah rebeccah said...

Ive been trying to juggle all of the blogs, writing my book, raising my son, working a full time job.....

I just cant PICK which one to scrap to make more time....

Although getting rid of that pesky job things sure sounds GREAT...