Monday, November 12, 2007

I'm Thankful for...Paper

As you probably know by now, I am no longer of the employed persuasion. I quit my job at a computer chip manufacturer to become a stay-at-home mom almost 5 years ago, and it was the best thing I've ever done. Well, now that Ethan's in school a few days a week, I thought it might be nice to jump back into the working world. Earn a few extra bucks. Interact with other adults about things that really matter.

So, I took the plunge, and I applied at this company that some of you may be familiar with. It's a paper supplier, and I guess it's been in the news a lot lately. One of the branches, it seems, has a film crew following them around, doing some sort of reality TV/documentary type thing. I don't know. Sounds pretty lame to me. What could be so exciting about working in an office?

Anyhow, the name of the company is Dunder Mifflin. Recognize the logo?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's supposed to be a pretty popular brand from what the guy on the phone told me. I'd never heard of it, but I don't really pay much attention to paper. (I wouldn't tell him that, though. He seemed a couple bananas short of a hammock if you ask me.)

Anyhow, my application is still being reviewed, but I've been given a company profile. I sent in my most flattering picture...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Won't that look great on my employee badge?

And I've been given an assignment--make a "Green" poster to hang in my branch. I hope this is what they were looking for...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


See, it's a take-off on the whole Woodsy Owl "Give a Hoot" campaign. Retro, but with a modern flare. It's edgy and gritty and totally street, but in a good for the environment sorta way. Think they'll like it?

Well, I should be hearing back from them any time now. In the meantime, I thought I'd go check out what all the fuss was about this place. I found this clip of the show on Youtube.



I don't know what the big deal is. They seem like slackers to me.

Hey, if you are looking for a job, you should apply, too! I guess they have lots of positions available, so it's no skin off my nose. I heard about it from Mert. She just applied there as well. She's hoping to get enough blogger types to fill the spots so we can break off and form our own branch. That sounds good to me.

Well, anyhow, I better go. Need to stock up on Talbot's suits and beige pleather pumps.

Ta ta!

14 comments:

Rimarama said...

You are such a nut.

I think you'd fit right in!

Going to go apply now . . .

Chuck said...

That was great! What a perfect way to end my workday.

holly said...

sorry, i didn't get this until i saw steven carrel. pa-ha! she's kidding. i was really afraid for a minute - ya got me!

sorry, living in cardiff, this is my version : http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/

R said...

Did you work for Micron? That is one of the only computer chip companies in that area (I used to live near Boise) that I could think of.

Hmmmm....

Lorelai said...

Ah the love of the corporate world!

newnorth said...

I applied too :) ...started off great by mispelling my username!

Avery Gray said...

Rimarama--I hope you get your response quicker than I have. Been waiting all day, and haven't heard a thing!

Chuck--a working stiff! So, you don't need another job, do you?

Holly--Ricky Gervais is a genius! I love him so much!!!

R--I don't live anywhere near Boise. (It's like an 8 hour drive.) But there are lots of semiconductor manufacturers here in the greater Portland area--Intel being the biggie. I worked for two different places--a wafer maker (Mitsubishi), and a chip maker (LSI Logic). FYI--they're both out of business now. Was it something I did?

Lorelai--word!

Newnorth--a promising start for such a prestigious company!

meleah rebeccah said...

I wish I could have been a stay at home mom.

Good luck to you on your quest. I'm sure you'll get hired anywhere...even at the Fancy Paper Place.

PS....I love how you work a PhotoShop.

cate said...

hey, what a great idea! i could use some extra cash for appliance for my new house...i'm gonna go and apply!

Kimberly said...

What I wouldn't give to see a clip of your interview!

R said...

Avery---I know you live where you live, I just thought maybe you recently moved where you presently live from maybe Boise. Who knows? Just how you described your last work place reminded me of blasted Micron.

The semi conductor business is doing so badly right now, it is no wonder they closed down. Don't take it personally. He he.

loveyh said...

I blame the dirty hippies. :)

So, have you bought season 2 yet?

Melissa Garrett said...

HAHAHAHAHA!! Oh, I *love* The Office!

Emma Sometimes said...

oh, holy crap.

You're going to encourage us damn dirty hippies? You are so magnanimous that way. That's how you roll.

Speaking of roll, you should get paid to write, like at Helium. That is a good job at home doing what you love. I make a whole .85 an hour.