Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Go Elf Yourself!

I got this great idea from Meleah from Momma Mia, Mea Culpa. If you haven't checked out her blog, you simply must. Her latest post was an incredibly moving tribute to her dear friend, Peter, who passed away last week. Please swing by and offer up some words of support and encouragement. I'm sure it would mean a lot to her.

So, you know how my husband hates to smile for pictures? Yeah, what do you think he feels about this?

Just a little holiday spirit from my family to yours. But I want to know why in the world my son has to be the "special" one? I wanted it to be my husband.

As you may recall, Ethan had an evaluation last week. I know some of you are wondering how it went. Well, I wish I could tell you. I still haven't heard anything back from the evaluator.

I did speak with Ethan's teacher, and what she told me the evaluator asked her sounded a little disheartening. (Meaning it seems as though she may be leaning towards autism, and if that is the case, we're back in square one, because my son does not have autism, but that seems the thing to tag kids with nowadays.)

But, who knows? She may just be attempting to rule it out. I won't know for sure until she's done with her report and calls me to set up a meeting time.

In the meantime, we're going to Lovey's house to brush up on our rusty Zelda skills on her Gamecube. Got to be in top form when my husband "allows" me to bust out the Wii on Christmas morning.

(He continues to poke the bear. Stupid, stupid man.)

And, as a personal aside for the individual who e-mailed me and told me to "treasure the relationship" I have with my husband "rather than demean it", I have one thing to say to you:

Ron, stop setting up fake e-mail accounts and accosting me with this drivel. You know I love you, you idiot. Why else would I still be around now that all the gold has been dug?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Geesh!

16 comments:

missburrows said...

OMG! Speechless...I am speechless (elf thing). Thank you for that laugh, I needed it!
In addition: you look radiant in your wedding photo.

Jill said...

Isn't it amazing how happy a big wad of cash can make us??!!

You'll have that same look on your face when you start using your Wii.

Make sure to box your husband-it's better than marriage therapy!

belle said...

Thanks for the giggles, loved the elf thing! But I'm horrified you'd be fobbed off with a false Autism diagnosis, that's dreadful. The diagnositic criteria is pretty clear and it does those really on the Autisic spectrum no favours if people are being mis-diagnosed. Stick to you guns, Avery, you know your child better than anyone else.

R said...

I didn't have enough patience to wait for the Elf thing to load. I know, and I have high speed internet.

No comment on the husband thing. I call mine Dear Sir only because when I called him by his last name (which I thought was the coolest), he was upset by it. Now he HATES my little pet name for him. BTW---Dear Sir is NOT anything close to "dh" or "dear husband" (puke, gag, barf)---I mean it like I am his slave. :)

I got no cash out of the deal. Just pure love, baby.

R said...

Oh, and about autism, even *if* your kid had it, it is not so bad. But, I doubt he has it since you are so sure, and he just doesn't sound like he has those kinds of issues. He could be like my husband where he was born with a book in his hand, born an adult, never quite had a childhood because he was frankly born a flipping adult. Lets minus the whole window licking thing. That was just pure genius. Not Autism.

Kimberly said...

Oh no, they did not. What is it about people that makes them think a snarky anonymous comment or email is actually going to have a positive impact on someone's life? The world would be a better place if people looked at their own behaviour with the same level of scrutiny.

And it's just nuts how long it's taking to hear back from the evaluator. Ugh!

meleah rebeccah said...

Oh honey... thank you so much for the mention and the well wishes...

Im glad you enjoyed the Elf Yourself.

Yours was hilarious. Just the laugh I needed.

M@ said...

A hell of a photo! That's funny that he doesn't like to smile. You must have albums of those.

secret agent mama said...

1) Everyone has autism, didn't you know. I'm sorry, but that's just how it is now-a-days. I don't mean to be derogatory towards people that truly suffer and live with autism, but it's just such an easy thing for "professionals" to say. It makes me mad.

2) I am heading over to Mia's in a minute.

3) I love that wedding picture!!

4) Avery, stop demeaning your marriage, man. What the hell is wrong with you. *SNORT*

&5) We've been elfing ouselves all week long!!

Avery Gray said...

Miss Burrows--thank you so much! Glad you liked the elf thing.

Jill--yes, cash does have a positive effect on my mood. Maybe that's why I'm always so happy. ;o) (Be even happier when I can bust out the Wii!)

Belle--thank you, my dear! Yes, I do know Ethan better than anyone, and even though I've had my doubts in the past, the more I learn about autism, the more I'm convinced Ethan doesn't have it.

R--thanks, babe! I hope I didn't come across as one of those snooty NIMBY moms. If Ethan was autistic, it might actually make things a lot easier. It's just that I don't think he is. He's far too social and empathetic, loves to share his accomplishments... I could go on and on, but the bottom line is, the indicators of autism that he does possess are far outweighed by those incongruent with such a diagnosis. He's... Golly, I wish I knew.

Kimberly--can you believe that?! I'm sorry, but my blog is my place to vent. In a joking and...okay, a little sarcastic way. My husband would understand that if he read my blog. He gets me. He loves me. I am absolutely crazy about him. We're the gushingest two people you'll meet when we're together. If I were really ticked at him, you better believe I WOULDN'T be blogging about it. I'm not an idiot.

Meleah--you're welcome, sweetie! Hope you're feeling better today.

M@--our albums are sad affairs.

SAM--1) I totally, totally agree.
2) Tell her I said hello.
3) Thank you very much. It's our favorite!
4) Will not. You can't make me.
5) Kinky!

Terri said...

You look AWESOME in the elf video. And PLEASE do not stop demeaning your relationship with your husband. It's the only proof I have to offer my husband that EVERYONE is doing it and when I do it to him, it really doesn't mean anything bad! (wink, wink!)

Deb said...

LOL... OMG... I think I almost peed a little over that "gold" comment.

R said...

Yeah, like you have said before, he is so sympathetic and emotionally involved with others, he can not be Autistic. Stick to your guns. He may not have anything at all. I would think he is just a very intelligent child with a unique personality, which is a fabulous thing to have. Just not so fabulous when dealing with other inferior children. :)

Mert said...

Bwwwhahaha! You slay me! 'Tis true with me also. My husband will joke and say I just married him for his money. I tell him if that were true, I would have left him a looooong time ago. ;)

BTW, your Jesus Cheeses comment left me gasping for air!

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with figuring out what is going on with your son.:(

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for making me laugh!

From Here to There

Jo Beaufoix said...

Couldn't see you Elf but we dd it too. It's hlarious isn't it. I was soooo tempted to blog it but Mr B said no. Bugger.