Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Hallelujah!

Christmas is over!

Thank the Lord!

But there's only 365 days until the next one (thank you, February 29, 2008, for providing an additional 24 hours in which to prepare.) Think you'll be ready in time?

Of course not. No one ever is. Besides, everyone knows that 90% of Christmas preparations are done on December 24th. At least that's how it is in our house.

We wrapped all of our presents after Ethan went to bed on Christmas Eve. Good thing we've gotten pretty good at marathon wrapping. It only took us an hour and a half. If it were up to me, it would have been done in fifteen minutes. God created gift bags for a reason, after all.

Ron abhors gift bags. Not only because they cost more than wrapping paper, which conflicts with his penchant toward miserliness, but you don't rip gift bags. And something, he contends, should be ripped on Christmas.

How about me? I'll volunteer.

A little nog never hurt anybody. Am I right, or am I right?

Well, no nog for us this year. We drove to Seattle to spend a pleasant Christmas with my hubby's family at his sister's house. Ethan had a great time playing with his cousins, and Ron got a Red Ryder BB gun.

No joke. His parents buy him something related to "A Christmas Story" every year. Two years ago, it was the damn leg lamp, which goes in prominent display in our front window now. (Thank goodness it's just the table lamp, and no one can see it from the street.) Last year was Christmas Story Monopoly. And this year, the gun.

Next year, bunny suit? One can only hope.

I got to drive us home through a blizzard. Good 15 miles an hour times!

But we arrived home safe and sound a mere three hours later, thankful for having spent quality time with our loved ones, and even more thankful that we won't have to do so for another year.

I kid. I kid.

Hope everyone had a great holiday season!

12 comments:

Dapoppins said...

And what does Ron think of the gun? Who likes it better, the dad or the boy?

Also, I agree with your husband...ripping open presents is more fun then pulling them out of a bag. So therefore I dutifully wrap and wrap and wrap and wrap.

The Lazy Iguana said...

AH! But you can reuse gift bags! Just stick em somewhere and then dig em out next year!

You can rip up the tissue paper that is stuck into the top of the gift bags.

Or you can wrap a few gifts, then stuff the rest in bags.

Or what the heck - just give the kids a newspaper section to rip up. Tell em to go nuts. The gifts are in festive bags, which can be used year after year.

The one good thing about wrapping paper is you can ball it up and throw it at other people.

Momo Fali said...

Glad you made it home safely. Our neighbor's grand-daughter ran into our parked car on Christmas Eve. We have such bad luck that we don't even have to be driving to get into an accident.

holly said...

not many people know this, but the three wise men *also* were against gift bags. they totally thought it would devalue their myrrh and stuff.

Bec said...

A leg lamp??

I've clearly missed something lol.

Meleah Rebeccah said...

Hey I got a Leg Lamp this year...and I was THRILLED!

Im glad you survived the holidays!

(now returning all the CRAPPY stuff will take up this weekend)

loveyh said...

Sweeet...how have I managed to miss the leg lamp? It's a major award!

I think we should get him a bunny suit. :)

Kimberly said...

Neil forbade me to use gift bags this year. Actually. Forbade. ~snerk~

Natalie said...

I agree something must be ripped on Christmas, but I love me some gift baggage, too. Wrapped presents look better under the tree, but gift bags are the wrap that keeps on giving! For use over and over again as The Lazy Iguana said.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Everyone is on about that film. I have never heard of it. Did I miss something?

Emma Sometimes said...

YOU'LL SHOOT YER eye out!!

Emma Sometimes said...

fa, rah, rah, rah, rahhhhh,
rah, rah,
rah, rah!!!