Monday, December 3, 2007

Weeee!!!

Ron and Ethan!

See? I told you they'd come back to me!

And here I am. Just like I told you I'd come back to you. Aren't you the lucky ones?

Yes, RaJ, I took the weekend off. Yes, I am a slacker, but I gotta tell you, it felt great! I read three books, made carrot cupcakes, watched my husband clean the house, caught up on some quality family movies I'd been meaning to watch...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

...stuff I haven't done since this whole NaBloP--oh, I'm not even gonna type it out again. That was in the past, and the past is behind us.

Wow. I think that's the deepest thing I've ever said. Feel free to bask in the wonder that is me.

I'm on a high today, my peeps, and it's called life! Wanna know why?

I gotta Wii!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


(Yeah, yell that in a crowded place and see if you don't get strange looks.)

I know I never mentioned my intention to snatch up one of these things. Probably because I hadn't even thought about it before last week. I'm one of those people who's slow to catch on to things.

*crickets chirping*

Well, don't all rush to my defense at once. It's true! In fact, I just picked up a military-style Members Only jacket and thought that might go real well with my gold-lame Hammer pants and my plastic arm bangles.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


(Never should have left that towel over my face in the tanning booth. Now I look ridiculously uneven.)

Anywho, my loverly friend, LoveyH (aka Shannon), and I canvassed the area (is it canvassing if there were only two of us? That's really more of a straight line than a plane, which is what I think of when I think of canvasses. But I suppose "lining the area" wouldn't really make any sense. That makes me think of grids, and... Oh, do I digress?) and we each went to our respective stores at 6:30 Sunday morning.

Did I mention that Shannon is a loverly friend? It's not just anyone who would get their ass out of bed that early on a Sunday morning so their friend might have a better chance of buying a video gaming system that will no doubt be obsolete in six months!

(Maybe I should have left that last part out.)

Well, I got to my store, and got a ticket for the "lottery"--where the winners get to shell out $300--and stood patiently waiting for the inevitable windfall.

Inevitable? Well, that's a bit smug, don't ya think?

Who said that?

And no, disembodied voice, I don't think it's smug. There's no way I could have failed. I had my ace up my sleeve.

Which was?

Dude, you're creeping me out. Knock it off!

But since you asked, I'll tell you. I was wearing...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

my lucky socks. The kind you can make monkeys out of...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

...only without the red heel.

So, as you can clearly see, the Wii was mine all along. Those other chumps who got there at 5 didn't stand a chance.

I felt a little bad for them. One woman told me she'd been out at the stores since early November trying to get one of these things for her grandson. Almost made me want to give her my ticket and leave. Almost.

But I didn't. And now I am the proud owner of a brand spankin' new video game system that I know next to nothing about. But it's got nunchucks! How cool is that?!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Shannon's efforts were less successful, but no less appreciated.

(She's off my Christmas list, and I am accepting applications for her replacement.)

Okay, that's not true. She braved the inclement weather for me, although, thankfully it wasn't as bad as we were told it might be. We were supposed to have wind gusts up to 80 mph.

Oh, we did get some wind. Want to see the extensive damage it did at my house?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Chilling, isn't it? And after minutes of costly repairs, here's what it looks like now.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Thank God we could save it!

25 comments:

Secret Agent Mama (dot com) said...

I want to get a Wii but sorta imposed this "no gaming system" rule. Stupid, but I gotta adhere to my own rules (all be they stupid).

Kimberly said...

I have the same stupid rule as secret agent mama. I am my own worst enemy and the empty doughnut box is proof.

Mya said...

I LOVE your hammer-pants - so cool. And they hide a multitude of sins...not on you, obviously, I just mean ...generally.

Can you use Wii gaming to exercise? I'd quite like a game where I could physically simulate beating the crap out of someone.I'm not fussy who. Do you think I should see a psychiatrist?

Mya x

Mike said...

I love my Wii. I played the stand-in-line game many times about 6 months ago. Haven't found any game as fun as the one it comes with (Wii Sports) though.

And the picture of you in hammer pants exactly matches the mental image I had of you.

holly said...

it's official. i'm jealous of you. i wish i could be you.

now, here i sit, looking at my pathetic little gamecube as if it's worthy to basque in my glory. "nay" i say to mario, of the super-smash ilk. you don't bring me flowers ANYmore. these boots were made for walking. just go, get out the door, don't come 'round now, you're not welcome anymore.

and you, you gameboy sp. what have *you* done for me lately? you *didn't* promise me a rose garden, did you!

you both are obsolete.

and don't get me *started* on the atari 4800...

sorry, i went all funny there and forgot to ask what games you got. you can't just sit there and tell us you got a wii, making us slobber with jealousy and not tell us which games! sheeesh. and you call yourself a gamer. oh, wait. you didn't actually. sorry, my bad. (note, i never say that in real life).

Rima said...

My gold lamay Lithuanian choir uniform can take down your Hammer pants any day.

Rima said...

I mean, not like *actually PULL THEM DOWN* more like, "beat the crap out of"

Oh, never mind.

missburrows said...

Hey, don't you make fun of our storm! It was so loud, that from 2:30 am-3:30 am, I sat in the living room, so that if a tree came crashing down on the house...only my husband who apparently can sleep through anything would be hurt.

I don't know about you, but my house is now all decorated for Christmas, with free branches from the towering trees next door. Granted, I didn't really need my gutters to be decorated, but I'm crossing decorate the house off my list.

R said...

I am not lazy enough to forsake running every day, but I am entirely too lazy to get up and get involved with video games. There is just something not right with that. But glad you like the idea and the whole system.

I have not decorated either. I just don't feel like it. I don't feel Christmasy. Hm.

Avery Gray said...

SAM and Kimberly--I understand, and I admire your convictions!

Mya--run to your psychiatrist's office, my sweet, then come back and play Super Mario Galaxy with me. It'll fix what ails ya!

Mike--I'm sorry to hear that. Here I thought I was coming across as a busty bombshell. Turns out I'm androgynous and multi-hued. Oh well. At least I'm a snazzy dresser!

Holly--you ask too much of your gaming systems! Maybe it's not THEM who have let YOU down. Think about that. (Oh, and not that these will do me much good since my hubby won't let me break out the Wii until Christmas morning, but I got 'Super Mario Galaxy' because it's multi-player, and 'Zelda: Twilight Princess' because I've had a love affair with Link since the 'Ocarina of Time' back in the Nintendo64 days. Is that weird?)

Avery Gray said...

Rima--yeah, I was gonna ask what you meant by that. Glad you cleared up the confusion. ;o) (And, no, it can't. So there!)

Miss Burrows--God loves you! That's why he decorated for you. It's a Christmas miracle. He loves me, too. But we don't have any tall trees around, being in a relatively new development and all. So, we just did it ourselves.

R--I have never heard of someone who's too lazy to get involved in video games! You are an enigma wrapped in a riddle and topped with sweaty salsa. Have I mentioned I adore you?

Momo Fali said...

Oh man. That looks like a tornado tore right through your house! Either that, or someone in Australia sneezed.

holly said...

weird is relative. it is exactly the level of lovely weirdness that i have come to expect and admire of you. is *that* weird?

dan leone said...

You are "Too Legit to Quit."

Dan Leone
http://www.cafeleone.net

Terri said...

I briefly considered the Wii, and then decided that approximately 80 games already in possession, and my desire for Guitar Hero III, which will work with the PS2 we already own, would satisfy my needs.

M@ said...

Dude,

You play video games? And what is with all of the women playing video games now? I can't believe this. I thought I had outgrown that at the age of 14!

WorksForMom said...

All I read was you got a Wii. Video gamers all over will be finding you via Google now Avery!

Radioactive Jam said...

Straight lines are so... one dimensional.

But those wind damage and recovery pics are awesome. Prize wieners I am sure.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hee hee hee hee.

Oh Avery, you make me howl. I love the Hammer Pants, and I think you should shout "I gotta wii' in public just for the fun of it. Miss M often does and people don't seem to mind.
And well done on nablo thingy. You truly rock.

Jill said...

Okay-that sheep thing is seriously disturbing.

Is that Matt Damon being devoured?

newnorth said...

my older brother has a Wii and my little brother a PS3....this Christmas is going to be so much fun :) (loved the wind damage shots)

Lisa said...

I'm so jealous of the Wii!! Haha. My sister just got a Wii so I got her old GameCube. But yeah, since I've been so out of touch, I really don't know what I'm missing.

Natalie said...

I soo want a Wii. I want a Wii so bad that I wrote a poem (more like ripped off a poem) about it. Funny I should come back to your blog after work and see this!

From Here to There

Kelly Malloy said...

Cool socks! Congrats on the wii! We got one last year -and the hunt this year was for the Guitar Hero 3 (which hubby just got tonight!)

R said...

I missed this sweaty salsa comment. You are a pure genius. Had me laughing.