Thursday, January 10, 2008

Keepin' Tabs on the Grays

Really quick...

About the tornado--it touched down about 5 miles from us, but lost a lot of strength before it passed over. We got the dark skies, the hail, and lightning and thunder, and we lost power for a little under two hours, but sustained no damage. Thanks to everyone who called and e-mailed. Hope you're all okay, and that your homes are still intact.

The wind and the rain are weaker now, but new systems are forming to the west of us. It is unlikely that they'll form another tornado. They're very rare in this area. But it will make clean-up more difficult for those whose homes were damaged.

Thankfully, as far as anyone knows, there were no casualties this time. Still, pretty scary stuff.

Okay...

Misssy, the dear, has tagged me with a simple little meme. Three questions:
  • What am I reading at the moment?
  • What am I listening to at the moment?
  • What am I watching at the moment?
Fair enough.

What I'm reading:

Photobucket


Started this one last night, so I haven't really gotten into the book yet. It's a little darker than my usual fare, but I told a friend I would read it, so I shall. It's paranormal and gothic, set in Louisiana in present day and also the late 1700's. The book chronicles the fall of Damien du Bourg, who sold his soul to a demon's daughter in exchange for immortality, then lived to regret his decision. So, the premise is nothing new, but what is it they say? There are no new stories, just new tellings. So, I'll try to keep an open mind.


What I'm listening to:

In constant rotation on my iPod--Aqualung, Blue October, Citizen Cope, Coldplay, Damien Rice, Death Cab for Cutie, Evanescence, Guster, Interpol, The Killers, Maroon 5, Midlake, Modest Mouse, Panic! At the Disco, The Raconteurs, Ringside, The Shins, Snow Patrol, and Travis.

Just downloaded yesterday--Timbaland, "Shock Value"

What I'd love to have on my iPod, but can't find on iTunes--


What I'm watching:

Nothing. Damn writer's strike!

What would I be watching if there were no writer's strike?

The Daily Show, The Colbert Report,The Office, 30 Rock...the usual stuff.

Okay, I'll confess. We're watching The Celebrity Apprentice. I'm rooting for Omarosa. She is just too evil to be real!

As for tagging... Heck, I don't know. If you want to do it, feel free.

Strange day...

18 comments:

Jo Beaufoix said...

That's quite a sweet little meme Miss A.
I might nick it next week when I am back from my holiday.
Did you notice that I'm going on holiday?
Yeah, I'm going on holiday.
The Frenemies will never find me there.
Mwah ha ha haaaa.

Caffeine Court said...

Glad you are okay! My parents were in a HORRIBLE tornado in Florida. People were killed and some of their friend's homes were completely destroyed.

Funny (kind of) story, they have friends whose home was totally wrecked. Their roof was torn off, car flipped. Only one thing was left intact. The bed in the master bedroom remained untouched, it was still perfectly made after all the craziness! Freaky.

Avery Gray said...

Jo--you saucy little minx, you'll cave yet!

Jill--wow! This was nothing like a Florida tornado! They think it was an F0/F1, so not strong enough to do much catastrophic damage, but enough to uproot trees. And we have lots of big, tall, old trees around here, so that's what posed the most danger. Lots of trees fell, but amazingly no one was under them. Lots of people counting their blessings tonight.

Groovy Mom said...

Wow, glad you're safe!

I haven't heard of any of the bands you listed (Am I living under a rock?) but I like the Natural One that you posted, so I'll have to check out your other tunes.

M@ said...

I wish I read faster, Avery.

MamaGeek said...

Holy tornado. That's scary - glad it missed you.

So a guilty pleasure is Celebrity Apprentice? :) That's okay, I just recently came out publicly that I watch 'Dog, The Bounty Hunter'!

Ashley said...

You have such a cute little page! I'm glad you guys are okay from the tornadoes and such...we had them here too...

Natalie said...

I'm glad you are OK! Tornadoes scare the living you know what out of me.

Believe it or not, last summer there was what I'm fairly certain was a funnel cloud almost directly over my apartment IN ARIZONA. It happens about once every two or three years here and knock on wood, none have touched down. I called my aunt in Illinois because I thought I might be crazy, but she confirmed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarbunz/957676137/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarbunz/957676709/

Edge said...

Man the premise of that book sounds creepy!

~Jef

The Lazy Iguana said...

I-Tunes is OK. But since Sparrow is my co-pirate I know a secret.

Limewire. Free MP3s. Some are not the best quality. But they are all free.

SHHH SHHH is legend.

R said...

COOL! The book sounds kind of fun.

I am reading In a Glass Darkly by Fanu (the stories are scary!!---you should read it---beautiful Victorian lit).

I am listening to Travis, Led Zep, and the usual when on my ipod. You need to check out Grant Lee Phillips, girl.

I am watching Camp Jesus on YouTube. I feel disgusted with evangelical Christianity. There. I said it.

Mert said...

I'm glad you all are OK! We have had tonadoes but never very close where I live in Iowa... but still when the sky turns green, and the clouds start to pulsate like in some weird science fiction movie... EEEK! It always sets me on edge. I'm from Maryland where hurricanes are very common, but tornadoes are no joke.

I've been watching more TV than usual, I've lost my lust for blogging :( I have been watching The Apprentice and Omarosa is just a witch, but fun to watch! Gene Simmons has turned out to be a real pig, imagine that.

Lis Garrett said...

Glad you are OKAY!!

missburrows said...

Wow! You lost power! Yikes! We didn't but I'm really happy to have things getting back to normal.

Avery Gray said...

Groovy--thanks! If you go to imeem.com or youtube, you'll probably be able to find most of those bands to preview them. Hope you like them!

M@--aw, you're not missing much. Besides, it's not how fast you read, it's how long you can keep it up.

MamaGeek--Dog? I thought his show was cancelled!

Ashley--thanks! Glad you're okay, too. Tornadoes are scary!

Natalie--yep, that looks like a funnel cloud, alright! Yikes!

Edge--yeah, I didn't get a chance to read anymore of it last night, but I'm going to finish it. Come hell or high water...

Ig--I'll bring you a cake with a file in it when you get sent up the river for your "activities". It's all above board for this gal.

R--never seen Camp Jesus, but maybe I'll send you the book when I'm done. How 'bout that?

Mert--thanks! Oh, and did you see him last night? He was in rare form--even for Gene Simmons!

Lis--thank you! We're fine.

Miss Burrows--I didn't realize the thing had lifted up and touched down again in our neighborhood until I heard it on the news last night. But I'll never forget how loud it was, or how still it was right after. Eerie.

R said...

sounds nice.

holly said...

really glad all's well with you.

we could be tv buddies. the daily show is the only reason i pay my tv license! and i WISH i had the colbert report. dang it. have only just recently found the beauty of the rock, and the office? we only get the brit version. :( it's good, but i'm deprived. of yet another thing. . .

and we could be mostly music buddies. which is to say i haven't heard of some. but i'm checkin' them out based on our common loves. who knew?

Momo Fali said...

Tornados are very scary. What's really cool, here in Ohio anyway, is that they always tell you they're coming and the worst part of the storm will hit at around 3:00 AM. I lie awake all night waiting for the roof to cave in.