Tuesday, January 1, 2008

This is TOO Easy

Sixteen hours into the new year, and Shmesolutions are dropping like flies.

Didn't I tell you it would be like shooting fish in a barrel?

The first one to fall:

  • No organizing. Embrace chaos.

Ah, Shmesolution. I hardly knew ya. So sad to see you go.

Observe.

BEFORE
Photobucket


AFTER
Photobucket


Yep. I have finally de-Christmafied our house.

Buh-bye, leg lamp. The soft glow of electric sex in my front window has been appreciated, but it is time for you to languish in your attic home for the next eleven months.

Feels so good. Not just to take it all down, but to get it sorted, too. Before I started, we had five boxes crammed full of useless Christmas junk. Can anyone tell me why we needed ten mismatched stockings? Or a broken candle snuffer? Or a million little fuses for light strands we replaced last year?

Yeah, me neither.

So, out it goes. All of it.

One thing I do think I'll hold onto is this hubby of mine. Well, now that he's making himself useful for things outside the bedroom anyhow.

*wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

In the nearly nine years we've been together, Ron has cooked dinner for me a total of two times. The first time was on our third date--fresh salmon that he caught that morning! And it was really good.

The second time? Macaroni and cheese. When I was eight months pregnant. And just came home from working a twelve hour shift.

That's it. Those are the only times he has EVER cooked for me.

So, imagine my surprise when I went to make lunch for the family and I saw this...

Photobucket


That's my slow cooker. In use. And not by me.

Wha wha whaaaat?!!

I didn't even think my husband could figure out the confusing controls. Off, low, high. So much to take in!

But he did it! I'm so proud.

2008 is starting off great here. How's it going for you?

20 comments:

Melinda said...

I love your organizing. It's amazing how all that stuff fits so neatly into boxes. We just started de-Christmatizing. It is such a process.
Sounds like you have a great hubby, I mean, he knows how to work a Crock Pot? You lucky girl!

missburrows said...

Nice bush.

Uh,er...foliage!

M@ said...

You've ended Christmas a week early, dude.

Natalie said...

So what was in the pot?

Mike said...

Pfft, big deal. I can turn on a slow cooker too. The real question is did he put anything in it?

Mya said...

He hasn't poisoned you, has he?

Happy New Year to you all at Avery Towers!

Mya x

holly said...

wOW! i have a similar hubby. and if i came home and found the slow cooker going i would immediately look for the pod. the alien pod out of which he came. and try to discover what they did with my old hubby. just to make sure they disposed of him properly...
no pod? immediate heart attack.

i got the *offer* of dishes yesterday. he didn't *do* them, but that was down to the fact that i'd already done 90% of them...
still, an *offer* is a good start.

Edge said...

Slow cookers were made for men so they would better understand woman and sex and food.

Does the lamp have fishnet stockings?

~Jef

meleah rebeccah said...

damn grrrl. Now thats organization.

The Lazy Iguana said...

How is 08 going so far?

Crappy. Same as 07. Yesterday a cold front pushed through and it was gray, rainy, and windy. A perfect start for the new year. An omen.

The job I was selected for is still not moving along. I was selected, but do I have a start date???? NOOOOO! And why not???? Some old fart. And politics. And the fact that the government is messed up and dysfunctional.

Once I get my start date then things will be better.

clairec23 said...

Why is everyone in such a hurry to de-christmasify (wut?) everything?!! G.R.I.N.C.H! :D

I will never be that organized...

R said...

I resolved not to iron like usual and I am ironing! It works!!

aims said...

You actually own a leg lamp??!!

Anonymous said...

My last comment has made me sound like a 5th grade boy (snapping turtle!).

Not really what I was going for.

Instead, how about I make my shmesolution to NOT ask if you want to meet for coffee?

Avery Gray said...

Melinda--thanks! On occasion, I do consider myself lucky. This will be about the third time! ;o)

Miss Burrows--thanks! I like to think so.

M@--no, you end Christmas a week late, man.

Natalie--Marie Callendar's Chicken and Noodle Slow Cooker Meal. Mmmm...

Mike--this is not a competition. I'm proud of both of you.

Mya--won't know that until later on today, but for right now, I feel fine. Happy New Year to you!

Holly--it all has to start somewhere. Baby steps. Baby steps.

Jef--yes. Yes, it does.

Meleah--and it felt damn good, too! ;o)

Ig--it can only get better from here on out. And I'm pretty sure it will! Did you make your Shmesolutions?

Claire--when it's over, it's over. Santa's come and gone, my friend. Can't live in the past! ;o)

R--you say that like you doubt my powers!

Aims--no, my husband owns a leg lamp. It was a major award (Christmas present) from his parents a couple of years ago, and I'm just the lucky one who gets to see it every day in the month of December. Lucky, lucky me.

Anon--uh, who are you? Is this Miss Burrows? E-mail me if you like.

Rima said...

Happy New Year, Avery! I like your new duds.

And sounds like hubs made some resolutions of his own. Nice.

missburrows said...

Yeah, that was me. What the frickity frack happened?

Will email you shortly.

terri said...

You ACTUALLY have the leg lamp! I am SO jealous! I don't have the leg lamp, but do have possession of the Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle! (or something very similar. OK, ok... it's actually my kid's gun.)

Lis Garrett said...

My 2008 started off with a lice infestation . . .

Fun! Fun! Fun!

Jo Beaufoix said...

Wow. I am undone.