Thursday, February 14, 2008

It's Valentine's, Jackass

I love love. I love everything romantic. I'm a sucker for happy endings and blissful couples wandering off into the sunset.

I'm a freak for mush.

So, how I ended up with the least romantic man on Earth is beyond me.

But that's okay. He's a good man, a great husband, a wonderful father, and if his only failing is that he lacks the romance gene, it's not that big of a deal.

Still, I hold out hope every year that even a smidge of my predilection toward sap might rub off on him.

Not a ball-shriveling amount, mind you. I don't want to be married to me.

But it might be nice if it was just enough so that he might take it upon himself to surprise me one of these Valentine's Days with something special.

Don't get me wrong. I do appreciate the flowers he buys, even as they get cheaper with every passing year. But it would be nice if he really put some thought into the day rather than glossing over it with a supermarket floral arrangement and a leftover box of chocolates.

It's not like I'm asking for a lot here. A heartfelt card would be nice. A day off of work so we can spend time together, even better.

I'm not that hard to please. Really, I'm not.

So, what am I getting this Valentine's Day?

A catalytic converter. For his car. To replace the one he destroyed by running over "something".

$1700.



God help the boy if he sets foot in this house with carnations and Reese's tonight.

22 comments:

The Casual Perfectionist said...

I thought you were going to say he got you the new Apple. ;)

I hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day in spite of it all! :)

terri said...

He's just thinking of YOUR safety and that of your child! He wants to be sure that when he is transporting his family anywhere, that there will be no doubts as to the safety of the vehicle.

Or, more likely.... he is just being a man.

Sorry!

FUN-ky Mama said...

um..trying to think of a bright side here....the catalytic converter will last long than flowers, and aren't fattening like chocolate! there! Feel better?

Didn't think so.

dawn224 said...

hm... what is the carnations and reeces quality present for Steak and a Blow Job day?

Edge said...

I got green M&M's; she got a sweatshirt ... sexy ... huh?

~Jef

sybil law said...

Dude.
Take away his license!!!!
Hope you get surprised!

CamiKaos said...

don't kill him... V-day I'd less fun in jail.

Flip Flop Momma said...

its like we were separated at birth

TheVasquez3 said...

reese's and carnations...you know you would TOTALLY jump his bones. admit it you are EASY like that!

mielikki said...

oh, my man bought HIMSELF a 64 Mustang for VD.
I got taken out to Thai food, and told, that MAYBE he'd let me drive the mustang. Eventually.
Sigh.
but he is a good man, too, and my birthday is in less than 2 weeks. It had better be a good one.

holly said...

i'm going to get a face lift. i'm going to make me look like a crappy pc running windows xp.

cuz THAT's what he caressed all evening instead of me!

sure, "lecture notes", sure, "students". right. like *they're* going to go to class the day after val's day. right.

Mya said...

But it was a diamond encrusted catalytic converter from Tiffanys, right?

Mya x

clairec23 said...

We are the opposite. He's all romantic and mushy while I am all get the hell away from me :D

Maria said...

I'd kick his ass.

Cats are necessary unless your some kinda tree huggin' hippie that actually cares about the environment and the amount of emissions your car releases and all that stuff. Heh.

I mean, if you're into all that saving the world and sustaining nature for the future generations to come then I guess it's okay. But otherwise - kick his ass.


:p

Mike said...

Hey, OUR car needs a new catalytic converter too. It never occurred to me that this could double as a Valentine's Day gift. Thanks!

Groovy Mom said...

LOL! Someone needs to start a blog, maybe I'll do it, just for lovers. A blog with a new romantic idea every single day. I'll get on it, and give you the address. Tell your husband to read it. ;-)

Groovy Mom said...

Okay, I did it.

Get A Clue, Dude!

The Mama Bear said...

Well, this has been a long time coming for you sweet one, and I am so sorry that hubby did a jackass move for VDay....hope you go out and buy something nice for yourself. I am also going to go vote for you on the Blogger's Choice Awards, and finally...

Greetings, I am Mama Bear of The Cafe at the End of the Universe Blog (http://cafeendofuniverse.blogspot.com/) and I have stopped by today to let you know you have found your way onto the Magnificent Mamas of the Universe Blogroll, joining numerous moms from throughout the blogosphere. You were selected because I have popped into your blog numerous times and find you to be a great contribution to the mom blogosphere. Please feel free to take one of the 4 specialty tags from the sidebar to add to your site. Welcome.
~ Penelope Anne

suchsimplepleasures said...

i just want to tell you...while i'm not a big fan of valentines day...and, seeing as it's already passed...
i got (not to sound ungrateful...my hubby is about as romantic as yours!)...a box of hot tamales candy and a retarded card!!
just letting you know that you aren't alone in the unromantic hubby department!!
xo

Kimberly said...

My hubby buys me flowers every year. Nice ones. Then frowns at be in a rebuking fashion when they die quickly because I don't change the water. Dude! Buy me a book!

meleah rebeccah said...

welll...Happy Valentines Day. ?

Dapoppins said...

Okay, so what happened. Don't make me call you.