Friday, February 29, 2008

You Decide!

Awhile back, I said that I was going to try to put up a video of Avery and Lovey's JamFest 2008! And, believe me, I had every intention of doing so. I still do.

The problem, I thought, was that I didn't have the software on my new computer. No biggie, I figured. I may not be fastidious about much, but saving software? I rock. I still have floppy disks that are actually floppy!

So, I was going to go through the stacks of software I have hoarded over the years and find it. Then I got sick, and the issue was relegated to a lower priority than, say, trying to breathe.

So, that's been over a week ago now. I'm able to breathe without much concentration yet again. And last night, Mike so generously reminded me of my aforementioned task with his comment on my last post:
"Movie schmovie, where's my Avery-plays-Guitar-Hero video?"

Well, Mike, just for you, I searched and searched through the piles of disks, only to discover that I no longer had the software.

Fair enough. Off I went to the Canon website and downloaded it from there.

Software--check!

I hooked up my USB cable, and...nothing.

Turned the camera off, turned it back on, pushed play, wiggled the cable, clicked a bunch of buttons, stood on my head, recited the Lord's Prayer--the message on the screen still said "No camera detected".

I tried adding hardware, to no avail. Tried kicking the computer, too, but that was really just more for my own sanity.

When my husband got home, I asked him about it. He said he thinks we need a different cable for a different port. He opened up another little door on the camera and showed me what he was talking about.

Great, I thought. I'll just grab the cable for that and try again.

Cable?

What cable?

There's no stinkin' cable in the carrying case where all the other cables for this bad boy were.

Fine, time to search the cable basket.

Photobucket


So, I did. I pulled out every cable. None of them were the one I needed.

Back to the Canon website to find the one I did need.

Fifty bucks! Not including shipping, and I'm still not 100% certain it's the right one.

Man, if only I knew someone more technically savvy than myself, Mike. You wouldn't happen to know someone like that, would you, Mike? Someone, Mike, who might know, Mike, if I'm going to be wasting a lot of money on something that's not even going to fix the problem, Mike Mike Mike?

Someone who once said "I will pay good money to see this video" perhaps?

(Yeah, put your foot in it there, didn't ya?)

Well, I'm not going to ask you to put your money where your mouth is. After all, you did quantify it by saying it was only worth dozens of cents to you. And anyone can tell you, I don't even get out of bed for less than a buck twenty-five.

And as much as I would love to tell you it's worth it to me to keep you all entertained by making an ass out of myself for your amusement, fifty bucks would go a long way toward getting a new DVD camcorder, which would allow even greater opportunities for embarrassing tomfoolery.

So, I'm at an impasse. Should I pay the money for the cable? Or should I save the money and buy a better camcorder in a few months?

I'm leaving it up to all of you to decide.

Choose wisely, grasshoppers.

23 comments:

Edge said...

Why are you buying the cable from Canon? That's like paying Rolls Royce money for a Kia. They should have that USB cable at Walmart or at least Radio Shack for half the price if not about $10. Take the camcorder with you and show them the USB port on the camera and they'll say, "Oh you need a size @$@#".

But don't do that if you are bra shopping at Wal-Mart and whip out "the connections" - it might get you arrested. Or a discount.

~Jef

The Immoral Matriarch said...

I'll go with whatever the majority decides. :)

Avery Gray said...

Jef--my husband seems to think this particular cable is Canon specific. If it's not, then I will most certainly take your advice. Not about exposing myself. That I just can't help!

Avery Gray said...

Maria--I like your style!

Anonymous said...

Use the $50 to go to a cheap dinner and then a movie. You get your movie fix AND a meal!!

The Casual Perfectionist said...

Will this be the only time you'll need to use the cable? My vote would probably be for the cable, but I'm registered Independent, so it's a felony for me to vote in this caucus. ;)

And, I agree, you should be able to get the cable you're looking for on a place like newegg.com for a lot cheaper than from Canon...

Mike said...

I officially give up waiting for this video. I free you from that responsibility.

I also empower you to make this decision yourself.

-Mike (aka The Empowerinator!)

Jodi said...

I think if Mike wants to see the video so badly then Mike should put his money where is mouth is! LOL!

(Everyone chant along with me!)
Mike! MiKe! MIKE!

Sugarplum's Mom said...

Get the cable... unless you have some fancy schmancy hundreds-of-dollars camcorder, a standard firewire cable should do it. It did for us.. I think I paid $18 at Staples. I couldn't believe they didn't include the required cable to get the damn videos onto the computer either. Bastids!

Doozie said...

I think what you are trying to say here is that the most recent floppy discs were not actually floppy at all

holly said...

consumer whore holly sez BUY BUY BUY new gadgetry, not cable.

ebay whore holly sez EBAY for your cabling needs.

seriously, retail? who does that shit? (can i say shit here? you let me say ass before).

but i do want to put this into persepctive. fifty bucks is only twenty five pounds. oh i pissed away twenty five pounds just before dinner, as a warm up!

okay, that may not be true.

can i say piss here?

Fooferoo said...

Think of all the yard rocks you could get for your lawn for $50 for some weirdo to accuse you of stealing...

Daryl E said...

Its a conspiracy ..this unique to the port cable thing...

Groovy Mom said...

Just think of all the ways you could entertain us in the future if you were able to upload videos to your blog. You know you're going to get that cable eventually, right? Hmmm, maybe you could think of some way to make your husband believe it was HIS idea. ;-)

meleah rebeccah said...

I say look for the cable cord in a regular store first...usually you can get then much cheaper.

lilacspecs said...

If you can do the same things with a new camcorder, I say just save up and go for the camcorder.

GoneBackSouth said...

I tend to agree with Lilacspecs. Only because any time I've ever bought a part or bit for anything technical,it always turns out to to be the wrong thing. Technology - or rather my incompetence at dealing with it - makes me SEETHE!

MamaGeek said...

I'd wait (and use the money a little sumpin' sumpin' for yourself in the meantime)!

sybil law said...

Camcorder.
Now I must go, as Holly's horrific language has offended me.
:)

Huckdoll said...

NEVER! I would never pay fifty bucks for a cable. But, I'm a cheap bastard. You can totally find the same cable for way less somewhere else...if there's a market for it, someone will be stealing and reselling them!

Joeprah said...

Try Radio Shack for the cable, I get all my random cables there and they are always under $10, if not under $5. Get the cable either at the store or online from their website.

Momo Fali said...

I vote to wait for the camcorder. Seems like it would be a good investment (for all of us)!

holly said...

right. i'm away over to sybil's to swear some more. she really needs to learn how.