Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I'm Cornfused

I took the voting buttons for the Blogger's Choice awards down because I was under the impression that voting was over. Which I thought was weird, because how can you decide less than two months into the year what your favorite humor blog, best blog about stuff, and hottest mommy blogger of 2008--*cough Avery Gray at averygrayday.blogspot.com cough*--will be?

As it turns out, you can't. Hence why the buttons have mysteriously returned to my sidebar.

Now, I'm not going to beg for your votes. I appreciate those who have voted already, and my only goal has been met--get more than zero votes.

As Holly would say, Result!

But if you feel a burning desire to declare your love for me to the world, and you would like to do so in the form of a vote for my blog, well, I certainly won't stop you. I won't even hinder you. I might even clear a path through the throngs of my admirers for you.

It's the least I could do.

But I won't do the voting for you. I'm pretty sure that crosses some sort of line and is frowned upon. And if there's one thing I don't like to be, it's frowned upon.

Smirked upon? Fine.

Grimaced upon? Bring it.

Frowned upon? Nooooo!

So, you'll just have to vote yourself. Okay?

Okay.

On to the business of the day.

My lovely new blogger buddy, GoneBackSouth, has tagged me for a 6 random things meme. Now, I've done random thing memes in the past, but my life just happens to be filled with random, inconsequential minutiae--it's why I blog--so I think I can come up with something fresh.

Let's see...


1) I buy Bounty paper towels for their absorbency and strength.

2) My only claim to fame is that my cousin is the drummer for Journey (not the original, but the current line-up that tours county fairs), but I think it pales in comparison to my husband's, who, while working at a Portland area Burger King as a teenager, served Tom Petty and Bob Dylan in the drive thru.

3) I slept on bamboo sheets last night, and they were quite comfy.

4) Unless they're crawling on me, spiders don't bother me, but I have an irrational fear of moths. I almost drove off the road when a huge one flew in my car window one night. Since then, I only roll my windows down during the day.

5) I can't stand Dora the Explorer. She's bossy, and her voice is like nails on a chalkboard (which I use only as an expression because the sound of nails on an actual chalkboard doesn't bother me).

6) I'm a Gemini, the sign of the twins.




Well, there you have it. Six things you never needed to know about me, but are ever so glad you do.

So, hows about it? Anyone else want to play along?

17 comments:

Edge said...

I already played. But my daughter would disagree with you on that Dora thing. Diego on the other hand ...


~Jef

Groovy Mom said...

Bamboo sheets? Never heard of that. Where does one acquire bamboo sheets, and are they MORE comfy than cotton?

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh, your Gemini quote. As another *ahem* well-endowed Gemini, it might be useful. I don't hate Dora, but she is not the most pleasant thing I've ever heard.

Rima said...

I played Moth the fairy in my college production of Midsummer Night's Dream.

Lilacspecs said...

Ooh numbers 5 & 6!
Okay, I associate Dora's shrill little screech with severe hangovers and sleeping through important classes, thusly I consider Dora to be the Harpy Queen of Hades. Seriously, she needs to eat a bullet, bala, bullet, bala, bullet...say it with me now bala, bullet!

And I'm a gemini too. Not much to say about that other than Geminis are cool.

meleah rebeccah said...

Ive played...and Ive voted. Too bad I can only vote ONCE for your blog...

I really hope you win. You are VERY Funny and Really Hot. What could be better than that?

holly said...

(clears throat) aaaahhhha ahem...

1)

wait, that should be clears fingers... (crack crack craaack)

1) you can't buy bounty paper towels for absorbency AND strength. they are either absorbent OR strong. don't be greedy here.

2) obviously, petty paid out of petty cash. right?

3) bamboo? they make bamboo sheets now? oh my bob i'm still sleeping on straw.

4) what about if spiderMAN crawled on you. that might be scary.

5) i don't mind dora so much but that friggin monkey with boots? c'mon. no monkey wears boots. clogs, maybe. not boots. get it right, people.

6) that's it...that's why i came here. i come for the humor, i stay for the pictures.

well played. i always love random things about you.

:)

M@ said...

Fact: You're never more than six feet from a spider. And they're animals.

The Immoral Matriarch said...

What the hell was that??
Re: #1!!


*lmao*

The Casual Perfectionist said...

Yeah, I still have no idea when the voting ends for that thing...and that's okay.

We don't have a lot of Dora here (Woo hoo!!), but one of Claire's grandmas gave her a Dora book when she was really little. It was a disturbing story about a picnic and along the way Dora kept inviting really dangerous creatures to join us at said picnic.

To be honest, this was when Claire was in her "I'd rather tear up and eat a book than read it stage"...and I let her. I still find pieces of that book in random places. Darn. ;)

Huckdoll said...

I have the moth fear!!! My mom always thought I had a bad acid trip or something, that's how bad it is.

I have to tell you something horrifying. About six summers ago, friends and I walked to the local 7-11 to get munchies late one night. As we approach, the ENTIRE store was covered in moths...fluttering all around for some reason - I guess they liked the lights.

(I'm getting chills just writing this)

Anyway, I make a mad dash inside after being scolded for being such a pus*y and guess what was inside 7-11?? More MOTHS!!!

EVERYWHERE.

(Another chill)

They were fluttering around, falling into people's Slurpees and everything. No, I was NOT on drugs...ask my hubby!! He was there. Thank GOD I had a hoodie...I was hunched down with my hoodies over my entire head and face with only one eye looking out. The next day they shut down for pest control. I'll never look at that 7-11 the same way...

(Shudder)

R said...

I put my #1 on my blog. #2 will be tomorrow.

I had a good laugh at this. Especially how you hate Dora! I thought I was the only one!

LOL!!!

Avery Gray said...

Jef--Diego's fine, but Click the Camera? Yeah, who thought it was a good idea to have Rosie Perez do the voice-over for anything?!

Groovy--well, my dear, comfort being a relative thing, I'll answer you this way--they are not more comfortable to me than my 1200 thread count cotton sheets, but they are to my husband, who likes (for some bizarre reason) stiffer, lower thread count sheets. The bamboo sheets were probably comparable to 250 thread count cotton sheets. Does that answer your question? ;o)

Natalie--go ahead and jump on the hating Dora bandwagon. You'll find we're a friendly bunch.

Rima--I'm terrified of you now!

Lilac--Geminis ARE cool! We can totally hang.

Meleah--if there was an award for the sweetest blogger, I would totally nominate you, vote for you, and run a campaign to get more votes for you. You are that awesome! ;o)

Holly--I would refute all your refutals (is that even a word?), but I'm too busy laughing my ass off to do so. Well played to you as well. You are a worthy adversary.

M@--and I'm cool with that. We usually get those big, hairy wolf spiders in the kitchen window in the summer, and they catch the flies that Ethan lets in leaving the back door open when he goes to play. Watching them stalk their prey (they don't use webs for anything other than homes) is fascinating. Of course, I have to clean up all the little fly carcasses they leave behind, but I'd have to do that anyway if I swatted them. I usually name the spiders Harriet or Wolfgang. They make really easy pets.

Maria--you'll have to be more specific. I don't know what the hell half of what I write is.

Momma--aw, that's a shame about that book! ;o)

Huck--you have just provided the subject of my next nightmare. Thank you. Thank you ever so much. *shudder*

R--oh, I am going to have to take a look at that!

loveyh said...

And lest we forget, you make your gorgeous friend Lovey nervous by narrating the wolf spiders' hunts all summer long, even though you know she's deathly afraid.

I'm sorry, what was the question?

sybil law said...

Wait - no Boris the Spider?!
Dora SUCKS. I cannot STAND Dora!

Jo Beaufoix said...

Miss M loves Dora. But I prefer Dora to Barney any day. If I ever met Barney, I would probably have to kill him.

And I will vote my sweet. Because you rock.

Deb said...

The twins... ha!! (I hate being a Sag now!)