Monday, October 27, 2008

... But I Still Got It

I'm old.

How did that happen?

The last time I set foot in a college classroom was ten years ago, and in that time, I've developed an incurable case of oldstudentitis. Everything I thought I knew back then, I actually know now, yet surprisingly, still no one wants to hear it.

So, this is how leprosy feels!

It's not bad actually. So far, my professor's pretty darned impressed with my work, and that's all that really matters, I suppose. It would be nice if I could make friends in my class, but since it's online and only lasts six weeks, it would be pointless to try and reinvent myself four weeks in as a younger, cooler version of Avery Gray. The kind that knows when to shut her piehole and not out herself as a know-it-all teacher's pet.

(Actually, that part hasn't changed since...well, ever. I was a Mathlete, for crying out loud. You think they hand out that honor to back-sassers? I should say not!)

A good portion of our grade is in giving constructive feedback to our classmates, and, frankly, I don't lack for material. I know, art school is not generally considered a Mecca for Mensa members, but for the love of all things holy, the word is "beige", not "bage", and developing 20 design concepts does not mean sketching the same one 20 times and adding more and more glittery stars.

(Honestly, how do these people dress themselves?)

The work has been challenging. We're averaging 6 assignments a week, including a couple of professional quality 2-D presentations. Next week we start work on the first of our 3-D presentations--constructing a countertop point-of-purchase display. For some reason, I'm expecting a huge drop in enrollment between now and then. Just call it a crazy hunch.

Me, though, I've already started gearing up for the project. I've got my sketches done, my favorites picked, and every glittery star to be found in the greater Portland area.

Oh, yeah. I'm ready.

8 comments:

meleah rebeccah said...

glad to hear your enjoying your online classes. even if you are the teachers pet!

sybil law said...

I was definitely the back sasser, but still the teacher's pet - good grades can get you away with anything!
Good luck with the glittery stars! :D

M@ said...

We so looked down on the older students, didn't we?

Avery Gray said...

Meleah--thanks! I am enjoying it, even if everyone hates me and wishes I would die. Hey, no one likes the curve setter. It's tough being me...

Sybil--amen, sister! That's what I'm counting on.

M@--oh, golly, did we!

Rima said...

Oh, yeah. You're THAT STUDENT. I think you were in my college "French for Business" class.

loveyh said...

But, but..she's a ROCKSTAR!

And dear, you were a Mathlete AND a curve-screwing wench. That's why I love you. *smooch*

Dapoppins said...

I wanna see more of your work!

Mathaleate...wait, how do you spell that?

Jo Beaufoix said...

Avery this sounds great. I'd love to see some of your assignments too. And some of your 'friends' ones, snort.