Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Google is My Friend?

I have a little confession to make. Since starting back to school, I've taken to Googling my professors.

(Believe me, it's not as hot as it sounds.)

The reason I do this isn't just because I'm a pathetic stalker-type person (I said not JUST because), but also because I find I am disinclined to take the advice of anyone who is not at least marginally better than me at the subject in question. And since many graphic designers today maintain a digital portfolio online, I feel well within my rights to snoop to my heart's content.

(What is that saying about curiosity and the cat?)

My first professor was very professional, and her portfolio was very nice (if a little bland). Still, she had lots of practical experience and she was very willing to share with the class.

My second professor was retarded, signed everything with "Smiles! :-P", and never met a shade of pink she didn't like.

Oi.

I didn't really know what to expect with my new professor, but I was not harboring high hopes. It's a good thing, too, because they'd have been dashed on the proverbial rocks with this Google nugget.

Allow me to quote her letter to Ask the Eviction Attorney:
Dear Mr. Reno:

I had new tenants move into a townhouse condo in mid-November. They paid $400 security and the remainder of November's rent before moving in. On December 1st, 2007 I didn't receive a check from the tenants, 5 days later, I receive an email from the tenant saying he had not mailed the check yet and wanted to know if I would just pick it up from them. This was very inconvenient, as I was 7 months pregnant, and would have to drive to the other side of town to get the check. I did go pick up the check from the wife at the townhouse condo, and asked them to mail a check in advance in the future. Since then, they have mailed the checks for January, and February in advance so we have received it on time. What I want to know is it too late to give the tenants "notice to quit" in order to evict them based on the fact that December's rent was late?

Ms. [name withheld to protect the grade giver]

*cough cough ballbuster cough*

Oh, excuse me. I was just pretending to cough while calling my professor a ballbuster. Uh, I mean...allergies?

Needless to say, the past two weeks have been insane. In the past two days alone, I've finished 45 newspaper ads like this one for my made-up client...

Photobucket


That may not seem like a lot, but consider that every ad had to be different--different sizes, images, layouts, and logos.

In the words of Mr. Reno, the eviction attorney, in response to her query:

You're kidding, right?

Sadly, no.

It's going to be a long six weeks.

7 comments:

M@ said...

Excellent response from the attorney. Dumbass.

TexasRed said...

Ohh... sounds like a long class. You signed up to learn patience, right?

Also, just tagged you with an award over on my page.

Mike said...

Jan Kramer has a sexy phone number.

sybil law said...

Seriously - the new professor is an idiot!!
Best of luck! Or, my condolences. They both seem to fit!
(Nice ad!)

Dapoppins said...

O am having a party in march. I know you are super busy, but I would like you to do a guest post. in March. On any day you want. In march. You could even make a video.

Maybe I should call you.

ARe you still alive?

Bee Repartee said...

You do REALLY good work, but there is a deplorable lack of pink...oh, wait, wrong instructor.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Yep, ball buster. And the ad looks great.