Friday, March 6, 2009

Blowing the Dust Off

Life is an endless, soul-sucking miasma of chronic and debilitating exhaustion. Other than that, things are just peachy.

School is definitely one of the main culprits. Because the program I'm enrolled in takes semester-long courses and condenses them into 6 week torture-fests, I've been working long into the wee hours to finish a major project every week. The lack of sleep has certainly taken its toll on my supermodel good looks and weather girl personality. Why, I'd say I've dropped to a meager 8.5.

(We're talking on a scale of roughly six trillion.)

That's not the worst news I have to share with you, however. No, that juicy little tidbit would be that I saw my doctor, and she revealed that I have...

A GOITER!

What the fudge is a goiter, you ask? That's exactly what I wanted to know! Isn't that something that old people get? I mean, not people like me who are young but complain, "Oh, I'm so old!" and make other people who are older than them want to hit them, because, come on, that's so annoying! No, I'm talking honest to goodness old people who poop themselves and yell at parked cars.

Well, apparently not, because I have one, and I do neither of those things. Much.

All a goiter is, my doctor assures me, is an enlarged thyroid. Unfortunately, the fact that I have one probably means that I will now be put on thyroid medication in addition to the three other pills I have to take every day for the rest of my life for my PCOS.

I'm a walking pharmaceutical, yo.

Fortunately, my goiter is fairly small and was caught early, so I won't be walking around with a basketball-sized lump in my neck. It does make me tired, though, which isn't helping matters with the aforementioned crippling exhaustion I'm experiencing.

I'm quite the catch, ain't I?

Blerg.

12 comments:

Sheila said...

I knew that when I got older, my body would fall apart - I just thought "older" meant like 60, not somewhere in my 30's! Makes me wonder what will happen 20 years from now!

loveyh said...

Did you just say "Blerg" on your blog? Have you been playing the Sims again?

Avery Gray said...

Sheila--I share your fear! It's a downhill slide as it is.

Lovey--you disappoint me.

Dapoppins said...

When I was 36 ish I started having weird symptoms. (not like yours, you got me beat with the goiter) and the dr said..."could be pre-menopause."

THIRTY SIX!

okay, so it might have something to do with my poor diet and exercize but what the hey....

THIRTYSIX!!!!!


YOu still need to post one more time this month. AT MY PLACE

1/2 million dollar baby said...

Welcome to my world baby! Let's share meds!

Bee Repartee said...

I thought goiters was the UK news people.

Bee Repartee said...

oh, snap. That's Reuters.

M@ said...

Oh no!

Larissa said...

Ooh, you're only on three pills a day (plus the possible thyroid meds)?

I'm on 15... and that's PRE-back herniation pain treatment assessment. YUM.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Sorry I'm late here. Hope all's ok with the new meds. Hugs.

Bee Repartee said...

Robert Pattinson aaaaaafter the war.

That is all.

Dapoppins said...

my best friend thinks you are a better writer than I am...



YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED!